Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Tough Decision

This week, I had to make a decision, which I found the most uncomfortable I had to make so far. And no, it did not concern a woman. It was, in hindsight, a pretty simple career decision, but which I complicated by thinking too much of things that were flimsy, to say the least. I got a good offer from a new company, not as established as the one I’m working for right now, but it was a better paying job with better prospects for career advancement. The decision should have been simple enough.
I had made the decision to join the new company even before they offered me a good package. But it was when I realized that I had to put in my papers and leave behind all that has been a part and parcel of my life for more than the last five years, that I developed cold feet. It was not just that I was leaving behind people who were much more than just colleagues; they were friends. I knew I’ll keep in touch with them over phone or through Orkut, but things would be different. We would have no office politics to discuss, no seniors to cuss over mugs of Beer, no conspiracies to cook up – it’ll be just an exchange of courtesies.
I would have to join as the junior-most person of my grade in my new company, even though most of my colleagues there would be ex-employees of my present company, some of whom were my protégés at some point of time. I would hate to work under some of those people but I keep reminding myself that I’m far more experienced than any of them. This is in contrast to my present position, where I have delegated most of my responsibilities to others and the majority of my work is to supervise them doing the job and going to extremes to keep myself out of their way so that the work goes on smoothly.
The main reason however, I think, was my qualms about settling down to a new set of people, new rules, new office timings and a new work culture (the latter being more relaxed than to which I am used to.) My fears were compounded by the fact that I’m more of an introvert at heart. I decided to talk to my boss and his boss about my decision and after reminding me about how my present company was loath to appreciate proficient people like me, both of them were vehement in their suggestion that I leave as soon as possible. My juniors amongst my colleagues were more cheerful and encouraging but what their motives were, I could not discern.

Looking back, I realize how silly my apprehensions were. Starting ab initio is a small price to pay for all that I would deservedly get in the imminent years. I’m planning to resign tomorrow and join my new company in a couple of days time. There would be new friends, new politics of a different kind, new people to cuss and new responsibilities to delegate to others. Hopefully, it would be a better place to work and this might be the start of a very rewarding career.
Touchwood.

1 comment:

Amanjot Singh Bhambra said...

Hi Vikram ...just read ur Blog... came to know this from different source also that u have left our company... All the best for ur future endeavors